Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Prairie diamond

March 17, 2009
I've been thinking about St. Patrick's Day all weekend because 7 years ago today Jeff proposed.
I've told our engagement story before but what I didn't tell anyone was that Jeff actually gave me a ring months before then... a prairie diamond that is! If you've been to Nauvoo, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. At the horse-shoeing place everyone leaves with a nail that has been bent into a ring. Well, when we got married my grandparents were serving a mission in Nauvoo and couldn't come to our wedding. So Jeff took matters into his own hands and wrote my grandpa a letter telling him he was going to marry me and that he needed him to send two prairie diamond rings until he got me my real diamond. I remember being in the kitchen when Jeff said he had a surprise for me and started to pull something out of his pocket. For a second I thought he was seriously proposing to me. But then he slipped the prairie diamond on my finger. I remember looking up puzzled and ask how on earth he was able to get one of these, the only person we knew in Nauvoo who could get one was...wait a minute! I was furious and totally embarrassed that he had told my grandparents we were getting married but it was pretty sweet of him at the same time. I wore that ring until the day I got my real diamond but still keep it in my "special box" to always remind me of being young and in love!

Oh and Jeff says I owe him $1 for every click on this post, since he was the one who actually took today's picture. Remember, I have to graduate or read the user's manual before I get to play with the new camera!

2 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

What a great shot - oh, that will be $1 please.

I love royalties.

Alabama Apples said...

Love this post! Jeff is so cute! Jen, only you would be embarrassed/angry your sweetie would write to your grandparents for the rings. I love ya!!