Thursday, May 28, 2009

A new addition

May 28, 2009
We have a dozen or so new babies in the neighborhood... baby quail. Every year we look forward to counting how many babies there are and then trying to get a picture of them running through the yard. Quail don't fly much but they are super fast runners! The babies are the tiniest things I've ever seen and look like little balls of feathers. After several attempts to get a picture of the babies following their mama to the garden to feast on our lettuce and peas, with dad squawking at me, I saw something move in the grass by our cherry tree. I walked over, heard more squabbling from mama and papa, and noticed one of the babies had been left behind. I felt bad for the little thing because he kept trying to hide from me, even hopping up on the tree at one point, but I was so excited to get a picture that I kept chasing him. At one point he just sat down in the grass and tried to hide. If I hadn't been watching him so close, I would have never found him. I just hope he got home safe and sound. I wouldn't want to find a fluff of feathers tomorrow morning.

No comments: