Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This is why we don't have F.H.E.

June 8, 2009
You'd think that serving as F.H.E. "grandma" and "grandpa" in our student ward would have instilled in us a commitment to always holding Family Home Evening once we got married but no. Despite the many fun activities (picture a whole bunch of college kids in cardboard box cars with balloons attached having a demolition derby or playing "bigger or better" and winning with a tractor) and hours of heart and soul poured into planning weekly activities to uplift spirits and build friendships, we have always struggled to have our own Monday night spiritual (or at least fun) boost. I often feel guilty about not doing what has been commanded and decided to kill two birds with one stone this week and actually sit down as a family for an hour and work on our emergency supplies. I admit I can get pretty paranoid about disasters and being stranded somewhere without diapers, food, or something to keep us warm but I really feel like we need to get a 72 hour kit put together. I felt strongly about this a few months ago (in the midst of wrapping up my graduate degree) but haven't done much until now. So... with a bit of mumbling, grumbling, and joking we wrote out a list of supplies we felt we'd need in our 72 hour kits. I thought I'd take it easy on my family and just make a list this week. Then we can go shopping next week for the actual supplies we need. Pearl got bored pretty quick with the F.H.E. lesson and took my highlighter and started tracing her feet instead. Then Jeff got bored and started googling things that I'm pretty sure he knew would get a reaction out of me (in between checking his Facebook Mafia Wars game). Did you know there are 9,920 results for "what does my paranoid wife need in her 72 hour kit???"

4 comments:

Kimberly Nan said...

Ha! Funny Jeff. It's true though Jenny...you are pretty paranoid!

Kami said...

Woo hoo! You'll sleep better once this is done!

Jeff Johnson said...

I slept better when she was going through this exercise.

Alabama Apples said...

Don't husbands think they're funny? Geeesh....BUT, this is coming from someone who is co-paranoid, too :)