Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wienie Roast

July 24, 2009
I admit I'm not much of a camper. I hate the dirt. The bugs. The campfire smoke. And the fact that I can't turn a light on to see where my flashlight is to go pee in the middle of the night. Not to mention my crazy mothers-only-understand paranoia about Pearl falling in the fire or drowning or getting eaten by a bear. But there is one good thing about camping... the wienie roasts. The wienie roast has become a staple tradition to the Peacock Family reunion the past few years and every year it gets bigger and bigger. At first I think it was a way to keep the hungry "city relatives" (aka, us) out of the house until the real reunion started the next day and a venue for the men (really just my Grandpa and Great Uncle Paul) to have an excuse to revert to Boy Scouts again and experiment with diesel fuel, wooden pallets, and matches. It's now evolved into quite the feast with relatives coming from all over to enjoy the hot dogs, sausages, salads, chips, desserts, and even some cowboy singing. Even though my idea of camping is in a trailer with running water and a light switch, I sure can't pass up the chance to have a burned-to-a-crisp dog over an open flame!

No comments: