Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm never going back

September 12, 2009
So I realize I'm not applying ANY of the photography principles I have just learned in the previous three hours of my photography basics workshop with this photo but I had to get one picture of our great mentor, Brooke Snow! I actually went to high school with Brooke, stumbled upon her photography website and blog, really loved her style, and decided to finally learn how to really take pictures with my camera using only the manual settings. Between setting my apertures, ISO, and shutter speed I was just lucky to capture a picture of Brooke as she was flying through one of her demonstrations. I actually made it the entire day in manual and feel more empowered to keep it that way. Of course after a full day of photography tips, I am totally overwhelmed, slightly frightened to be turned lose to document my life in manual, and hoping I can convince Jeff to fork out some more money to buy me a new lens - a 50 mm prime lens that will let me set my aperture to as low as 1.4 - since my camera lens now won't let me do everything I want to. The best part of the workshop though? I actually know what that last sentence means!

2 comments:

Kami said...

Let me know if you find a good deal on that lens! And promise yourself that you won't go back to auto settings. If you can power through the next couple weeks, it will all start to be very natural to shoot in manual. Good luck!

Jeff Johnson said...

Maybe I can find you a green camera strap...