Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Zero Fatalities

August 24, 2009
I blogged before about Keifer, a teen killed in a car crash and whose mom I had the wonderful blessing of working with on the Zero Fatalities: Sixteen reasons why zero is the only acceptable number booklet. Well tonight we had a meeting with the parents who lost a teen in a motor vehicle crash last year - which is where I got these flowers. Keifer's mom and two other parents who worked with us on the booklet last year came too. The last couple of weeks as I've read through the new stories and looked at the pictures of these young kids who died because they or someone else was driving stupid, the emotions of working with the families again and knowing that my life will be impacted in some small way by their lives weighed heavily on my mind. I almost didn't want to do this again but knew it was the right thing to do. At the meeting, I couldn't help it and cried right there in front of my co-workers and families much stronger than me who were telling their stories. When I saw Keifer's mom I just couldn't hold back anymore... his face is the one I see anytime I catch myself doing something stupid in the car. I am so grateful to be a small part in these families' healing process and want them to know that their children have not died in vain. Even if I'm the only one who has changed the way I drive, I want them to know their willingness to open their hearts to others was worth it. Stay tuned for the new booklet on October 20, 2009.

No comments: