Sunday, August 23, 2009

I wanna go home

August 23, 2009
I'll admit upfront that this wasn't one of my finest mom moments and I know I'll be getting flak from a few of you for taking this shot, but when you can capture in a single picture how we all felt at one time or another this weekend (well, maybe not how Jeff felt) you just can't pass it up! After three days of dirt, campfires, cozy sleeping bags, searching for "baby deer", skipping rocks, and praying you don't get eaten by bears (the warning sign screwed right into the picnic table sort of freaked me out), and oh yeah, waking up to rain the day you're supposed to pack up, we were ready to go home. Let me clarify my actions by saying that I wasn't the cause of the tears. Pearl tripped and totally face planted it in the cold mud as we were taking down the tent. As I was getting out the towels to dry her off, I couldn't help but think how cute she was, mud all over her face (and coat, hands, pants, shoes, etc) and all. So I grabbed the camera and took a picture. What you don't see in this picture is how happy she was when I let her play in the truck and eat Starbursts while we finished loading everything. Or my dread of coming home to six loads of stinky laundry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I am glad that she (and you) were able to cheer up. After all, doesn't a little sugar make everyone a bit happier?? :)

Kami said...

This is SO how EVERY camping trip ends, but usually the moms are in tears, too! But don't give up...kids need these outdoor experiences!

Alabama Apples said...

Bad parenting?!! Whatever! I LOVE the picture. Poor cutie. It has been awhile since we've been camping, but I do love doing it. Blehh, to broken tents! I hate the bads that come with camping, though. And who can complain about Starbursts?!